How to Amend, Change or Correct a Return You Already Filed

Where do i mail my 1040x

Amending your return allows you to go back and fix mistakes.

Nobody's perfect, and the Internal Revenue Service understands that applies even when it comes to filing your taxes. Even after you have filed your return, the tax code allows you to amend your return for the current tax year as well as the three prior tax years, whether you missed a deduction or credit or if you realized that you owe more than you paid and need to make it up.

To amend your return, you must use a separate Form 1040X for each tax year you're amending. For example, if you realized for the last two years you should have been deducting your student loan interest, you would need to file two separate Form 1040Xs. Form 1040X has three columns. Column A shows the amount from your original return, column B shows the change to the original and Column C shows the new amounts. For example, if the student loan interest deduction you forgot to take would reduce your adjusted gross income

from $67,000 to $66,000, you would write $67,000 in column A, $1,000 in column B and $66,000 in column C.

When you put together your amended return, include copies of any tax schedules that are changing or any documents supporting the changes. For example, say you're claiming a mortgage interest deduction that you forgot to report. Since it is an itemized deduction, you need to include a new Schedule A with your amended return and send a copy of your Form 1098, which documents your mortgage interest paid, along with your tax return.

You must mail a paper copy of your amended return rather than submitting it electronically. Where you mail it usually depends on where you're living when you amend the return. However, there are special addresses if you're filing an amended return in response to an IRS notice, after receiving reimbursement for a hurricane-related loss, or if you're filing it with a Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ. You can find the specific address for you in the Form 1040X Instructions.

How to Prepare, File A Michigan Tax Amendment

"The Great Lakes State"

When Do I Need to File My Michigan State Amended Tax Return?

You should file your Michigan amended tax return within 4 years of the original Michigan tax return deadline.

How Do I Fix My Michigan Tax Return or File a Tax Amendment in Michigan?

To make changes to your Michigan return, you should file a Michigan tax amendment. Here's how:

  1. Download and complete Form MI-1040X-12.
  2. Print out the amended return and mail it to either: Michigan Department of Treasury, Lansing, MI 48929 (if tax payment included) orMichigan Department of Treasury, Lansing, MI 48956 (no payment or receiving refund).

Michigan State Tax Amendment Forms (Download, Fill Out, Print Out, and Mail)

For Tax Years 2012 and later, complete Form MI-1040X-12. For Tax Years 2011 and prior, use Form MI-1040X. Follow the form instructions for specific steps and cases.

How Can I Check the Status of My Amended Michigan Tax Return?

You can call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 800-649-3777.

What Are the Penalties, Interest, and Fees Related to Michigan State Amended Tax Returns?

The state of Michigan imposes a penalty on unpaid tax. If a tax bill was issued before February 28, 2003 then the penalty 5% per month until the tax is paid in full and the total penalty cannot exceed 50% of the tax due. For the first month the minimum tax penalty is 5% of the tax due or $10, whichever is greater.

If the tax bill was issued after February 28, 2003 then the penalty is 5% of the tax due, and the total penalty cannot exceed 25% of the tax due.

The state of Michigan also charges a 4.4% interest rate on tax owed.

Where Do I Mail My Michigan Tax Amendment? - Michigan Mailing Address:

If a tax payment in form of a check or money order is attached to the form being mailed, then mail to:

Michigan Department of Treasury

Lansing, MI 48929

If no payment is attached, then mail to:

Michigan Department of Treasury

Lansing, MI 48956

Michigan Department of Treasury Phone Number: 800-649-3777