who can file 1040a

Note: I am not a tax professional. I used to teach a personal finance class. Please address questions to a professional. Thanks a bunch! This video explains how .

Here's the link to the 2015 form: https://youtu.be/lYobSqd3DUQ Here is the video that shows you how to fill out the 1040 EZ tax form. It also explains if you should .

Picking the right income tax form

By now you've determined that you need to file a return, so set's figure out which form to use. There are three flavors of the 1040 individual income tax return..

Learn How to Fill the Form 1040EZ Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents

Visit: http://legal-forms.laws.com/irs/1040-ez To download the Form 1040EZ in printable format and to know about the use of this form, who can use this Form .

This video walks through basics of filling out a simple 1040EZ tax return document..

Use for students in Accounting I. How to complete a 1040EZ form for a high school student..

Roy Kamida Leeward Community College University of Hawaii..

How to fill out the 1040EZ 1(Financial Literacy for Teens)

How to File a 1040EZ IRS Form for Free - TurboTax Tax Tip Video

https://turbotax.intuit.com Most taxpayers prefer to file their tax return on the shortest and least time-consuming tax form possible. This is why the IRS allows some .

How to Complete a 1040EZ Tax Form : How to File a 1040EZ Dependents Worksheet

Tax help! Learn how to fill out and file a 1040EZ dependents worksheet tax form in this free video covering the dependents worksheet. Expert: Tom Noah Bio: .

A walkthrough on how to prepare a 1040EZ without paying for tax filing software. Here are some of the links in the video: My Website: backalleytaxes.com To .

Here is the video that shows you how to fill out the 1040 EZ if you are claimed as a dependent on someone else's taxes..

Filing Form 1040X When We Need to Correct Our Filed Tax Return

Who can file 1040aWhat should we do when we realized that we made a mistake on our return but it was already filed?

Basically, it will depend on whether you e-filed or not. If you e-filed and the IRS rejects your return, then you have a chance to fix the error and resubmit. However, if you e-filed and the IRS accepts your return (meaning the return is already on the way), then you will have to wait till after you receive your refund. Once you receive your check, you should prepare and file a Form 1040X. Note is that this form can only be mailed and cannot be filed electronically. Once you mail the form, it may take the IRS up to 3 months to process the Form 1040X, so don’t be alarmed if you don’t hear from them after 2 months.

There are basically 4 steps to file a 1040X:

  1. Have your original Form 1040 handy – You will need information on the original form to file the 1040X
  2. Note Changes – Take notes on each change on the original tax forms and the reason for each change
  3. Fill out Form 1040X – The information on steps 1 and 2 will help with this
  4. Mail the form – Remember to include all accompanying documents.

It is more work to correct errors but it is very important to be accurate with our filing because we don’t want to be caught with an filing error with the IRS. I will be sure to keep everyone updated on the progress.

Subscribe (and Get a Mini-Course Too!)

I made a mistake and somehow put both of my children on my taxes. We will call them A and B. I can file with child A because it is in my divorce decree. My ex husband files with child B. He wasn’t able to file his taxes until I amended mine and corrected my mistake. I got right on that and fixed it with the 1040x. Now my question is, will my ex get all of his taxes? Also he owe back child support so would all of his tax money go to that? I know that the state will garnish his taxes for the child support I just don’t know why he wouldn’t get his taxes at all

I want my boyfriend to claim our son because since i did not work so much they aren’t giving me the whole credit. He is getting the whole credit though. Will I be able to file my son the following year since my boyfriend will claim him this time.. ?

Who does the child live with? If you all live in the same household either one of you can claim the child. You could one year and he could the next year.

hello and thank you in advance,

I am beyond confused on how and what to fill out this year regarding the stimulus tax refund. I am on SSI and was planning to go back to school this year so I could start working and get off SSI but on my way to registration I fell and broke my hip and also had to get a total knee replacement . I will also need surgery on my shoulder and I lost my beloved $10,000 Jeep Wrangler Sahsra during all of the chaos. I am telling you that all this because I don’t know if it will apply to my tax refund.

I never knew about this to begin with but a few years ago a couple of friends on SSI told me about it. They gave me the form that had to be filled out told me to copy the numbers on it and fill out my own and send it in which I did for a few different years and I received checks for those years. I have absolutely no clue what I filled out and what number I put in and how it is working this year if at all.

PLEASE HELP…I am home alone recuperating from this knee replacement, having to hire people to help me and it is very scary and of course I have very little money until I start working again.I am in the arts so it will take a bit,

with love light and laughter

my husband and i just got married in 2014 we both decided to file married but separate, so i filed my efiled my taxes and it was accepted by the IRS, then i went to e-file my husbands taxes and his was rejected because somone (me) had claimed him as an exemption

he tried e-filing again and the IRS was going to review before accepting

do i need to amend my return

and when will he be able to file his return.

Hi, i filed my taxes in 2010 while i was deployed in Iraq (the Army was my only W2) anyways, my battle buddy assisted me preparing my taxes online i believe though H&R block. Now im being audit because my state taxes werent prepare. I send them a copy of my W2, and now is showing that my numbers on my tax return for the federal does not match with my W2 income. What do i do? am i in trouble?

how long after you file an amended return will your transcript be ready?

I received an additional 1098 form and filled out my 1040x. Do I only need to attach the 1098? (I efiled via Turbotax and already got my refund). This is for 2013.

Thank you for any help.

I e filed last year HOH, I was legally married, but we lived separately. I payed my own bills & had my own apt. I found out he did not file last year. We got back together this year so I wanted to e file married jointly but he doesn’t have a PIN number nor an AGI. I remember my PIN number but don’t remember my AGI so someone said for me to put 0 for his AGI which is fine, but can it be my PIN number with is AGI or do we both have to have the pin or the AGI.? Also I just found out that I shouldn’t have filed HOH cause I was still married please let me know what should I do now. Do I file this year and then try to fix last years or do I fix last years then file this years. Please help? Thanks

I am in desperate need of help on how to fill out my 1040X. In 2008 my boyfriend and I were advised by a tax preparer to file as married filing a joint return. She said because we had been living together for more than a year and had a child we were considered in the state of Texas to have a common law marriage and that it would be beneficial for us. A year later my boyfriend and I split up. Our 2008 tax return was audited years after that. I met with an IRS agent and went through the audit and had my taxes for the past three years corrected except for the 2008 return. The IRS agent explained to me that we should have not filed a joint return and we should have not filed as married. My ex-boyfriend was a bartender in 2008 and he did not report the proper amount of wages he received. I worked at a coffee shop 15 hours a week. Because of that return the IRS determined that my ex-boyfriend and I owed $6000 dollars. The IRS agent advised me to fill out a 1040x return amending the 2008 tax return and have my ex do the same. He said that we need to change our filing status married filing jointly to single. I have been on my ex’s case to file this 1040x form for 3 years. He still has not. I would still like to file one and hope that he will finally file one as well. I have not filed my taxes in three years because I do not want to forfeit my refunds. If anyone can offer me advice or tell me how to go about filling out the 1040x properly for my situation I would be extremely grateful.

I need help filling out 8863 or 8917 form? I should be receiving a refund for college but I’m unsure of which route I am supposed to take to get the most $ refunded? I’m claimed as a dependent with no income for 2012 tax year. Help…

If you are claimed as a dependent on someone else’s taxes, whoever claimed you needs to fill out form 8863 and attach it to an amended tax return (1040x). They should be able to receive the American Opportunity Tax Credit for you as long as you were in school at least part time and did not complete your first 4 years of college. Hope this helps.

When we filed our 2009 taxes, we were told that we owed 5K, and so we paid it. We got an amendment for that year and looks like IRS actually owed us. So now we got the 2K that they owe us. When my husband called to check if they are giving us back the 5K that we paid them, he was told that we are now even… we are not owed anything.

I am now confused as to why we would be even when we paid the 5K. Please help.

I received a 2 1/2 year payment from Social Security Disability in Dec. 2010. They direct deposited it into my checking but I was told to wait until I heard from my LTD insurance so that they (LTD) could tell me how much money I needed to send them which was of course all of it. It was never our money but because LTD did not deposit our check until Jan. 2011, it became our tax problem.

We were told to fill out something from chapter 19 and we would not have to pay the taxes on it since it was not really ever our money. This was Jackson Hewitt that told us that. Unfortunately, we got a letter from IRS last month stating that we do indeed have to pay the $2600 to IRS. We went to IRS and the woman put some numbers and information in the computer and said that it looks like we don’t have to pay but that we would hear back in 45 days. We got a letter from IRS last week saying that we not only owe the money but now owe penalties on it so we sent them a check. We were told to then do a 1040X but don’t know where to start. We went to IRS but after waiting 5 hours, we were told that it is not their job to help us.

We don’t even know where to start.

I just noticed I made an error on my 1040 in 2007, for my HSA I entered my contribution amount (MAX) and the same amount contribution by my employer.. This caused a ripple effect, where in 2008,2009,2010 and now 2011, it lists excess contributions. and I keep paying TAX on the over contribution to my 2007 HSA that I never over contribution to. It was an error on my part in 2007. How do I go about correcting this and getting a refund for tax years 2008,2009,2010 ?

Hi, I just filed and sent out year 2011, 1040/540 form 2 weeks ago. My wife want me to lower AGI by putting more money to qualified IRA account. Can I do it by putting more money on IRA for year 2011 and file year 2011, 1040X/540X now? Or I need to wait until IRS and CA state finishing process my original 1040/540.

Can someone please walk me through the steps to filling out a 1040x? I have 2 1099 that I need to include and don’t know where to begin.

I filed my w-2’s and realized that I am eligible for EIC, but I forgot to file for it before submitting my returns. Will Form 1040X help me? If not, what form will? I also head H&R Block is doing “Second Looks” to recover anything that was missed. Do you think they will help me?

Thank you so much.

I recently received a notice from the IRS concerning my filed taxes for the 2010 year. It turns out that my son was informed by a tax preparer to file as independent due to the fact that he makes over a certain amount a year, and is over 23. Not knowing, I included him as a deduction and now one of us has to file the 1040x form. I guess my question is, who should file this form (considering penalties, etc. will need to be paid) so we can take the smallest financial hit?

i filed 1040 with 30,000 as ira deduction(my mistake) so irs adjusted AGI to +18,000 with corresponding increase in tax due. I want to change the ira deduction to 0 and move the 30,000 to a different tax shelter i have. When i send in the 1040x do i use THEIR adjusted AGI instead of MY original AGI as the original numbers since they already went ahead and adjusted it ? aloha

Hi I filed my taxes the other day and I filed as married joint But since my husband is not legal and has an itin so I did not get the Earned Income Credit Can I cancel my refund and redo my taxes as single to get the EIC? Or am i pretty much screwed. By the way i am the only one that worked.

I filed with hr block and was rejected because they say I was claimed wat can I do now

can i file taxes if i havent worked this year someone claimed my children on there taxes and i would at lest like to get the money they collected i called the IRS an they told me to file

I e-filed my federal/state taxes and they were accepted by the IRS, I filed as single and it should have been head of household. I know I need to now wait to receive my refund and then will need to file a 1040x, when I mail this form in, can someone tell me if I have to return my refund with the 1040x form?

I filed my taxes through Turbotax tonight and felt like something was “off” after I e-filed. I went back to review the return and saw that I filled out a question wrong. Like an idiot I freaked and resubmitted the return. Will the IRS send me two refund checks?? Or will they see I am getting two returns and cancel one of them??

My husband and I separated in March of 2010. I rented an apartment and began living by myself with my two daughter. My son continued to live with my husband. I allowed my husband to take our tax info to the same guy we have been for years and he filed married/jointly. He explained that this was the best way…even though we owed money and I would have had college expenses and earned income credit. Ugh. Basically, now that I have done my own research and realized that we could have both filed Head of Household because we lived apart and each had dependents, etc. I wondered if I could file an amendment and file HOH? And if so, do we both have to file an amendment?

I recently did my daughter taxes e file through turbo tax. I put form 1098T info in and it drop my daughter refund down. because it increased her taxable income. She submitted. Now im finding out through online websites that i didnt have to file form 1098T. if i didnt file this her refund would been more. can she do a amended form(1040x) to take this off and get the difference of her refund back?

I just recently filed both my taxes for 2010 & 2011. I am a part-time worker & For 2010 I only made about $2,500 in wages etc.,(because I only worked for about 3 months) and I’m receiving $1,200 back after filing taxes. For 2011 I made $9,500 in wages etc., and is receiving almost the same after filing 2011. Is this even possilbe if i made triple the amount this year than last year working at the same job? Could the tax prepares messed up on my 2011 taxes?

How do I go about downloading one (1) blank copy of 1040? I can’t get it thru IRS. Thanks.

I was wondering if I filled my taxes with h&r but didn’t mail out dat paper wit my w2 forms attached to it can I have it redone by the IRS please help dis is my first time doin taxes thank you

it’s already 2012 but i just notice now that 2008 we had gone to H&R…to do tax…and we thought she had put my two sons in as his dependent and i realize now she had him as single and no dependents i’m so mad…is there anyway we can get what they mess up back…

I need help filling out the 1040x. I’m 22 and new to taxes. I filed one of my w-2s, and after filing received two other w-2s from my seasonal jobs. I called the IRS and they told me I would’t go to jail or anything serious like that, but that I need to fill out the 1040x asap and send it to Department of Treasury. Can anyone please help me out with filling out this form? I am lost and I really need to file the 2 other w-2s so I can refrain from anything serious ever happening in the future. For me, its not about getting a refund, its about staying on the good side with the IRS.

I have filed/sent my tax without realizing that i will be getting a 1098T. Is filling a 1040x my only option? or can i just add it to my return next year? I looked at the 1040x already and didn’t see a spot for the 10&8t…..

please please help…thank you

I was not aware that I would get credit for my 1098t so I have not put them on previous year returns. Can I fill out a 1040x to receive the credit for 2009 and 2010?

I filed my return and left out a w-2. Is some1 able to walk me thru the 1040x? im confused on alot of it and cant afford to mess it up.

Ok, so basically I have to file a 1o40x. My husband and I were married filing separately last year however we made a mistake in that I put our daughter as both a dependent on his and my return. I didn’t realize that only one of us could claim our daughter. I looked at the 1040x form but the instructions are so confusing I don’t know how to amend it. Basically I just want to amend my husbands and take her off of his 2010 return. How should i go about doing this? Thanks.

So I filed married jointly and I’ve been with my boyfriend for 2 years and engaged now. They are asking for marriage certificate, which we don’t have. What do i do??

Just a quick question… We filed our 2007 return and applied for an ITIN but H&R Block did it wrong and we didn’t get the ITIN and our return was smaller because of it. We now have the ITIN and want to know if and how we could amend our 2007 taxes and get back what they didn’t send us. The only problem is we don’t have the letter saying how much they lowered our return and our bank doesn’t keep records that old. Would we just file the info again but with the ITIN in it now? Thanks!!

You should talk to a tax professional, especially if you don’t have the details with you anymore but as I understand the rules, you can only amend a tax return if you are within 3 years of filing your tax return this is most likely too late.

Hi, my husband and filed 3 years of taxes under a Tin number because he did not own a social security number at that time do to that we would only received a small portion of our return so instead of getting 5000 we would get only 2000 The point is now he has fixed his legal status and has a new social. Do I need to fill out an amend form and if so what changes will I have to make if the only change is the social not any numbers besides us getting the credit for the money owed to us

hello, I am a litle confuse about my wife status in her pay check. On her pay check, she is single , and we will need to fill the tax retur as married. Is it we will be in trouble? on my pay check I am married, I will like to change it for single status because i don’t want to pay back the government..My wife said that she puts single on her paye check because she want some money back.

2001,2002,2003,2004 AND 2005. I told my ex he could claim our son but he never did[he was afraid he’d get in trouble]. He never told me this until recently. Can I file an amended return now or is it way too late?

The IRS only keeps the previous 4 tax seasons open… meaning you can go back and amend 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 tax years. Unfortunately, the IRS won’t allow you to go back and claim your son for the years you mention.

If my wife filed married separately and I haven’t file yet, can we just refile using the 1040x form or should I file myself separately then file 1040x after April 18?

could this post be any more ambiguous? i came trying to find which documents need to be mailed when filing an amended return. you say to “take notes”. Do I need to mail those notes? What about mailing the originally filed return documents with the amended return? Essentially a bare-bones, useless article.

we filed our taxes too early and got an unemployment form for $103 and no taxes were taking out. I completely forgot about it, we filed with HR block so I have no idea how to fill out all these 1040X forms. I need some help.

I went step by step but dont know if this 103 dollars changes our EIC> I dont know how to figure that out.

I dont know how much we will owe for the $103 that we earned with out taxes being held out.

I would take back to HR block but their fees are too high so if I can do on my own that would be best for us.

also we got an additional child tax credit so not sure if it will affect it or not.

I am hoping someone can help me with the tax credits for children to make sure those amounts dont need to change. as of right now I think we owe $15 for the $103 that was not claimed but I am not sure.

I didn’t file (at all) ( long story) in 2010, I’m sending the form in now, do I still need to do a 1040X, thanks

I need to no how to get 1040X form so I can fill it out and turn back in… I dont have a printer….

post office has them

HELP… I filed my taxes and now need to fill out a 1040x to amend for the first time home buyers credit. I sent in a form back in March and was then informed that I sent the wrong form and this is the one I need to send. I can’t seem to get past line 6 and really need help. If there is anyone who can help please let me know.

i would like to know when will i be able to receive my 1040x form that was filed on march 30, 2010?

by mail or direct deposit?

hi my mom made a mistake on claiming if someone can claim her as dependent or not. and she check the box yes. and the finical aide office of my school told me to file a 1040X to change the status. so i did. i filed it around last year’s December, but never got a word from the IRS. so im very frustrated now. anyone have any idea or suggestion on what i should do?

My wife and i got into a fight, real bad. She left and then filled her taxes “single” alone and it was accepted by irs. it’s has been a 2 weeks.

Now she feels bad, is scared. We have decided to fix it and amend the taxes (which will include my tax information)

We file the amended forms and fixed everything to married filling jointly and mailed it ASAP.

We are ready to pay back IRS, the $1000 refund she got

Are we going to be in trouble? She really overreacted on this

i efiled both fed & state married/joint… i entered the main earner’s income, but missed the chance to enter the spouse info. As soon as I noticed, I went back and entered the spouse income info and the program (amounts/etc…) changed and showed as though all changes went through ok. However about 4 days later we received a fed return we shouldn’t have (the corrections/update obviously DIDN’T go through). Both fed & state returns were accepted. I am going to the IRS office to try to correct this. I called the office but they don’t have a live person or anyway to ask questions to make sure I take everything needed… Do both of us need to be present at the IRS office to take care of this?, Do each of us need to fill out a separate correction form?, How do we give back the money they gave us (by check, money order…) and pay what we owe?, Will this trip to the IRS office take care of both fed & state even though we have not received the state refund?…

Hi Kimberly, I sent my amended return in Mid-March. I received a notice from them almost 8 weeks later that stated they could not find my original return and to send in a copy. Then I called the hotline to talk to a real person who told me she didn’t know why I received that letter, everything was there. What’s worse is the person who receives my resent tax return & amendment will wonder why I sent it in since they have it. So, I don’t know if I have to wait another 8 weeks to get my refund or not. Good luck to you.

Hi, my husband and I had to amend our taxes because our tax preparer put the wrong information on our tax returns. We had to file married filing jointly because the preparer put us down as married filing separately. I need a copy of my tax transcript for school. I need to know how long it will take for me to get a copy of my transcript so I won’t be dropped from school.

My husband and I filed an amended U.S. Income tax return form 1040X 3 weeks ago for the $8000 first time homeowner credit to be applied to our 2008 taxes. I was wondering if anyone knew when we could expect to receive that credit. We filed our original return by turbo tax and had that direct deposit into our account, will the credit also be direct deposit or do we have to wait for a paper check?? Please someone help me…

I need help on my 1040x amended form, i keep getting stuck on line 6.

I am filing amended returns for a friend. The original preparer filed them as single & head of household, it should have been done as married filing jointly. Do I file two amended returns or 1? And, HOH return had a refund, do I enter this on line 19 of the 1040x as a negative number?

I filed my 1040 and state 1040 in last week of Feb 2009 (both returns were accepted and I received refunds for both). Subsequently I received a corrected 1099 from my online broker. Now the tax still remains the same (with the new figures from corrected 1099 ). Do I have to still file 1040x and state 1040x ? Any reply would be highly appreciated.

I filed 1040a online on turbotax, i am a student on an f1 status, been in us since aug 15 2007 (260 days in yr 2007) and 349 days in year 2008 i hv been in USA. I filed my taxes the previous yr using 1040nr-ez…..unlike tht, this time i filed using 1040a on turbotax, got a refund credit of 300$ on federal and sum $537 on state tax..NYC state tax….my witheld was 366 on fedrl and 66 on state as on w2….i already got my retrn for fed (366+refund rebate = 666) and my state refunds enroute in a month…..wat is suggested? and wat r the consequences?? what are the chances of anything?? ur reply would be highly appreciated….ohh i m frm India….

My daughter filled out my tax return online with irs website. I dont blame her but she made a mistake where dependant is concern.She forgot to check off for yourself so now I wont get a refund rather I have to pay back. I need step by step help to fill out form 1040x so I can get a return.

The new 1040X for 2008 has not been issued yet. I don’t know why the hold up.

I made an error using TurboTax and I need to fill out form 1040X and I am not sure where to put the recovery rebate credit on 1040X. The form on irs.gov was last modified in Nov. 2007. Any ideas if the IRS will modify the form? If not, any ideas where to put this recovery rebate? Thanks.

My wife hade an ITIN number for the past years, now she become a Resident allien.

She have now a S.S number can I use the 1040X to claim my past EIC.

because on my past declaration the person who prepare my declaration says that I dont qualify to the EIC because my wife has an ITIN number

Sir: I received an additional W-2 after I filed. I got the 1040x form from the IRS website but I am having some issues. The big problem at this point is the additional $300 stimulus payment (for my child that was born at the end of 2008) that they say they owe me……where does that go? Please help.

scbhump: If there is an adjustment in any forms (up or down). You should report it using a 1040x.

Do I need to file a 1040X if there is no change to the refund amount? I reported more on form 8917 and when I received the actual 1098-T the amount was less. However, the credit on the 8917 was the exact same with the new/correct info. Thanks for any help.

Joseph: the latest form can be downloaded from the IRS

Remember to write the tax year you are amending at the top of Form 1040X as the form can be used for any calendar year. You can send it off right away once you are done filling it out.

I want to know how can I request for a 1040X Form to comply with the rules and regulations on how to file the said 1040X Form, and when to file it.

neploxo tak, i`m glad,

southernyankee: She was just trying to help so don’t get mad at her..

You should file a 1040X but I’m sure your wife needs to file one also. However, with something as complicated as this since there are two tax returns that need to be in sync of each other, I wouldn’t hesitate to ask for professional help. You might want to go to those HR Block offices and ask them what they think because they will probably offer free advice.

My immigrant wife, without my knowledge, filed her 2007 tax return in February. I had to file “Married/filing Single” and lost many benefits including “head of household” and tuition for both of my children. Instead of receiving a check, I owe over $3,000 on April 15th. After paying this, is a 1040X possible?

Which Tax Form Should I Use: 1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040?

“If you can add and subtract, you can file your own taxes.” That’s an adage I’ve heard time and again, and there is some truth in it. But, it’s also a little presumptuous. The amended adage should be, “If you can add and subtract, plus you are good at quickly identifying which arcane paperwork with similar sounding names you should be filling out, you can file your own taxes.”

Trying to navigate the IRS’s labyrinth of paperwork can leave even the strongest person wanting to curl up in the fetal position and wish they hadn’t fallen asleep in that high school accounting class they took. But, it doesn’t have to be that way, especially when it comes to the most basic of all income tax forms, the 1040.

The 1040 form – along with its streamlined variants, the 1040EZ and 1040A – is the crux of most people’s tax returns, so it’s important to know how it works and which one to use. There are three basic options: Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A, and the old standby, Form 1040. Here’s what you have to know about each:

Who says the IRS has no sense of humor? Labeling a form as EZ is their way of saying, “Even a caveman could do it.” This very basic form is the simplest to fill out of all the 1040 options, because you’re not allowed to claim any credits, deductions, or dependents.

For folks with a very simple tax situation — regular job, no kids, no house — the 1040EZ form will make the most sense. However, only about 13% of taxpayers file this way. According to the IRS, you should file this form if the following applies to your situation:

  • You’re filing as single or married filing jointly.
  • You have only wages, tips, salaries, unemployment compensation, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, or taxable scholarships and fellowship grants.
  • You (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) were under age 65 on Jan. 1, 2015, and not blind at the end of 2014.
  • You do not claim any dependents.
  • Your taxable income was less than $100,000.
  • Your interest income was not over $1,500 last year.
  • All earned tips are included on your W-2 in boxes 5 and 7.
  • You do not owe household employment taxes on wages paid to a household employee.
  • You are not a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed after Oct. 16, 2005.
  • You won’t claim any adjustments to income (deduction for IRA contributions, a student loan interest deduction, etc.).
  • You won’t claim any credits other than the Earned Income Tax Credit.

If you’re one of the 80% of Americans who earn less than $100,000 per year, you’re eligible to file a 1040A form. This form isn’t as, well, easy as the 1040EZ form, but it’s still pretty streamlined. It’s useful if you still have a relatively straightforward employment situation, but have a few things you’ re looking to claim, such as credits for children or education expenses.

Those with dependent children, education expenses, or significant retirement savings, for example, should consider using form 1040A, as the available credits can save you a significant amount of money over the 1040EZ. However, if you earn six figures or want to itemize deductions (including home mortgage interest), you can’t use this form.

Per the IRS, you should file using form 1040A if the following applies to your situation:

  • Your taxable income is less than $100,000.
  • You don’t itemize deductions.
  • You claim credits only for child and dependent care expenses, the earned income credit, the credit for the elderly or the disabled, education credits, the child tax credit, the additional child tax credit and the retirement savings contribution credit.
  • Your only adjustments to income are the IRA deduction, the student loan interest deduction, the educator expenses deduction, and the tuition and fees deduction.
  • Your income comes entirely from: wages, salaries, tips, taxable scholarships and fellowship grants, interest, ordinary dividends, capital gain distributions, pensions, annuities, IRAs, unemployment compensation, taxable Social Security or railroad retirement benefits, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends.
  • Your taxes are only from the Tax Table, the alternative minimum tax, recapture of an education credit, Form 8615 or the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.
  • You did not have an alternative minimum tax adjustment on stock you acquired from the exercise of an incentive stock option.

If you’re a homeowner who wants to deduct the interest on your mortgage, or one of the lucky few earning six figures or more annually, you’ll need to file a regular 1040 tax form.

Basically, the original 1040 is the form for “everyone else” who can’t use the simplified versions. Besides being a high earner, there are three other instances where you’d be required to fill out a traditional 1040 form versus one of the easier versions:

  • You itemize deductions (including mortgage interest) or claim certain tax credits or adjustments to income.
  • You owe household employment taxes.
  • You have certain types of income, such as unreported tips; certain nontaxable distributions; self-employment earnings; or income received as a partner, a shareholder in an S corporation, or are a beneficiary of an estate or trust.

Luckily, this form is also where the real deduction fun lives. Donate to charity? Have business expenses? Tried to quit smoking? Yep, you can deduct for that. Per the IRS, here is a (non-exhaustive) list of things you can deduct on your 1040 form:

  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • IRA deduction
  • Student loan interest deduction
  • Educator expenses deduction
  • Educator expenses deduction
  • Tuition and fees deduction
  • Child and dependent care credits
  • Elderly and disabled credits
  • Education credits
  • Child tax credits
  • Additional child tax credit
  • Retirement savings contribution credit
  • Business expenses
  • Medical expenses
  • Charitable contributions
  • Deductible taxes
  • Home mortgage points
  • Interest expenses
  • Work-related educational expenses
  • Casualty, disaster and theft losses

Filing your own taxes doesn’t have to be a tremendous burden, even if you have quite a few deductions. Once you realize what form to use, the rest is a matter of following directions. Good luck!

Get rid of high interest debt with a 0% balance transfer credit card

Earn credit card points toward your favorite ways to travel

Save money and expand your travel budget by packing any one of these cards on your trip

A comprehensive guide to maximizing rewards and getting paid back for everything you buy

What are key differences between Form 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ?

When the time comes to file your individual income tax return, you generally have a choice between three forms: Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.

Just about anyone can use Form 1040, but Form 1040A and Form 1040EZ may be better-suited to taxpayers with simple returns. According to the IRS, an estimated 84.6 million taxpayers filed Form 1040 in 2014, while around 40.9 million filed Form 1040A and 23.3 million filed Form 1040EZ.

How do you know which is right for you? Here's an overview of the three forms and what sets them apart.

The 1040EZ is the simplest form to complete but has very narrow requirements.

Kelly Phillips Erb, senior editor at Forbes Media LLC and author of the popular Taxgirl blog, says, "The 1040EZ is your really, really standard form for people who are single or married with no dependents and don't plan on itemizing. I see students or young people who are early in their careers and just filing to fulfill an obligation or request a refund using this form."

To use Form 1040EZ, your filing status must be “Single” or “Married filing jointly.” Taxpayers who file as “Head of household” or “Qualifying widow(er)” cannot use it, as those filing statuses involve dependents, and you cannot claim a dependent on Form 1040EZ.

You (and your spouse if filing a joint return) must be under the age of 65 on January 1 of the following year (for the 2016 tax year, you would have to be under the age of 65 on January 1, 2017) and not blind at the end of the tax year (for the 2016 tax year, you could not be blind on December 31, 2016). Taxpayers who are 65 and older or blind are allowed an additional standard deduction that isn't available on Form 1040EZ.

Erb says this caveat often confuses seniors. "They may think their return is very simple, but you can't use the 1040EZ if you're claiming the additional standard deduction," Erb says.

To use the 1040EZ, your taxable income must be less than $100,000, no matter your filing status. You're also limited to certain types of income, such as wages and salaries, tips, taxable scholarship and fellowship grants, unemployment compensation, and Alaska Permanent Fund dividends.

Any interest income, such as interest earned from a savings or investment account, must be less than $1,500. Common sources of income that aren't eligible for the 1040EZ include alimony, business income or losses, capital gains and losses, retirement account distributions, rent and royalties, Social Security benefits, and income from partnerships, S corporations, estates and trusts.

Form 1040EZ filers can't claim any adjustments to income. These are known as "above-the-line" deductions and are used to reduce adjusted gross income (AGI).

Common adjustments not allowed on the 1040EZ include IRA contributions, alimony payments, student loan interest, health savings account (HSA) contributions, moving expenses and the educator expense deduction for K-12 teachers.

The only tax credit allowed on the 1040EZ is the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). You cannot use the 1040EZ if you owe household employment taxes for an employee such as a housekeeper or a nanny. You also can't itemize deductions if you file a 1040EZ.

The 1040A is the next simplest form to file. Its requirements are a little broader than the 1040EZ.

All filing status options are available to 1040A filers, including “Single,” “Married filing jointly,” “Married filing separately,” “Head of household” and “Qualifying widow(er).”

Like Form 1040EZ, Erb says 1040A filers are limited to taxable income of less than $100,000.

However, the 1040A allows a few more categories of income. Taxpayers with income from sources such as capital gain distributions, IRA or pension distributions, and Social Security can use 1040A.

The 1040A also allows a limited number of above-the-line deductions. Adjustments to income are allowed for expenses such as IRA contributions, student loan interest, educator expenses, and tuition and fees.

In addition to the EITC, the 1040A can accommodate the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit, the Credit for the Elderly or Disabled, education credits such as the Lifetime Learning Credit and the American Opportunity Tax Credit, the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit, the Child Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit, and the Premium Tax Credit.

Like the 1040EZ, the 1040A doesn't allow itemized deductions.

Form 1040 is the broadest available option. Anyone filing an individual return can use it, other than U.S. nonresident aliens, who file using a 1040NR. Like the 1040A, it's available for any filing status.

Taxpayers with taxable income over $100,000 or income from businesses or farms must file using Form 1040. Taxpayers with pass-through income from a partnership, S corporation, estate or trust also must use Form 1040.

All above-the-line deductions are allowed on Form 1040, including adjustments for HSA contributions, moving expenses, self-employment taxes, self-employed health insurance premiums and alimony payments.

Taxpayers can choose to itemize or take the standard deduction, and all tax credits are available on Form 1040.

A good rule of thumb is to use the simplest form available in your situation, though the Form 1040 can accommodate any type of filer other than nonresident aliens. But remember, if you filed a 1040EZ or 1040A last year, your situation may have changed this year and you may need or want to use a different form.