Foreign Worker in the UK? We'll help you maximise your UK Tax Rebate

State of ga tax refund

Oops - you've skipped a bit! Please fill it in so we can move on!

Oops - you've forgotten to fill out some info and entered your <[field_name]>incorrectly. Please correct them so we can move on!

Oops - you've used the wrong format for your <[field_name]>. Please enter your <[field_name]>in the format shown so we can move on!

Oops - you've used the non-latin symbols in your <[field_name]>. Please enter your <[field_name]>in with English letters only so we can move on!

    You may be due to claim UK tax back if:

  • You are a non-UK national
  • You have left the UK
  • You were short-term employed in the UK
  • You incurred work-related expenses
  • You didn’t work a full tax year
  • You were made redundant
  • You were on an emergency tax code

    One in three people who pay tax in the UK are entitled to a tax refund. If you’ve been working in the UK, you may be entitled to claim a UK tax rebate.

    UK Tax Refunds for PAYE Workers who are non-UK nationals

    State of ga tax refund

    Are you a Non-National working in the UK? If you're a UK PAYE (Pay as You Earn) worker, such as a receptionist, nurse or teacher, your employer will deduct tax from your earnings. Many foreign workers in the UK actually overpay tax and need to file a UK tax return in order to claim a rebate. You may be due to claim UK tax back if:

    • You incurred work-related expenses
    • You didn’t work a full tax year
    • You were made redundant
    • You were on an emergency tax code

    To apply for a UK tax rebate you will need either your P45 or P60 and details of any work-related expenses. One in three people in the UK is due a tax refund so apply today or use our free UK tax calculator for an instant refund estimation.

    We have got UK tax back for thousands of people this year so get your free tax rebate calculation and let us do the rest.

    The UK Tax Year runs from 6th April – 5th April annually.

    PAYE stands for Pay As You Earn. PAYE is a system to collect tax from employees as they earn their wages/salary so they do not have to file a tax return themselves.

    ? Under what circumstances will I be due a PAYE refund?

    As a general rule you'll be due a refund in the following circumstances:

    • You commence work part way through a tax year
    • You cease working part way through a tax year
    • You have a break in employment during a tax year
    • You incur expenses which are allowable against your employment income
    • Your Coding Notice was incorrect
    • You were on an emergency tax code

    Tax is circumstance specific.'s account managers are happy to provide you with a free, no obligation estimate of any refund you may be due.

    ? If I’m charged PAYE why should I file a tax return?

    Just because you work as an employee under PAYE does not always mean that you do not have to file a return. This depends on whether you have other sources of income which are not subject to PAYE. For further details please see the FAQs on Self Assessment which outline when a tax return is required.

    1. HMRC sends your employer a Coding Notice which tells your employer how much to tax you.

    2. Your employer deducts the tax and pays it to HMRC. The amount deducted is shown on your payslip.

    A Coding Notice (CN) is a document issued by HMRC each tax year which advises the employer how much tax to deduct at each payroll date.

    ? I have just arrived in the UK. What do I need to do to get registered?

    Firstly you need to acquire a NIN (National Insurance Number). This is the unique tracker HMRC will use to keep tracker of your PAYE and National Insurance Contributions (NIC).

    An emergency tax code is a code that your employer or pension provider uses on a temporary basis until HMRC has enough information about your income to enable HMRC to send them (and you) your correct code. It normally makes sure that you get the basic Personal Allowance (and therefore some tax-free pay) but doesn't take into account any other allowances or reliefs you may be entitled to. Your employer or pension provider will normally keep using it until HMRC tells them what your correct tax code should be.

    ? Can I claim any expenses against my employment income?

    Yes, but the rules are complex and the class of expenses is very narrow. The key is that the expenses must be "wholly, exclusively, and necessarily" incurred for the employment. Expenses which may be claimed include the following:

    • Temporary workplace – travel, accommodation, subsistence;
    • Professional subscriptions to recognised bodies i.e British Medical Council, Institute of Engineering etc
    • Tools which you are required to provide for your employment (e.g a carpenter who must provide his own hand tools);
    • Uniforms – cost and maintenance;
    • Business travel – where employee must provide his own transport (note that if you use your own car then relief is given on the number of miles you travel – you should keep a record).

    Your account manager will advise you on what expenses you can claim.

    ? What forms do I need to be aware of?

    You should be aware of the following:

    • P46 employee no P45: Issued to employees by employer when they start work and they have no P45 from a former employment;
    • P45: Issued to an employee by the employer when the employee leaves that employment.
    • P60: Issued to an employee by the employer at the end of a tax year. It is a summary of pay, tax deducted and National Insurance deducted.
    • P11D: Issued to the employee by the employer at the end of the tax year. It reports all Benefits in Kind the employee has received during the tax year.
    • P85: Can be found online. Completed by the taxpayer to advise HMRC that they are leaving/have left the UK.